Building a Home...
If you are in the market for a new home, you have likely entertained the question of whether to buy new or to buy resale. There is no right or wrong answer as there are advantages and disadvantages to both. You have to weigh those factors to your specific life circumstances.
Nothing can beat walking into your brand new home knowing you designed every detail. Here are some other advantages to buying NEW:
- You can pick your location in a development
- Fewer maintenance problems.
- More modern design and standards
- Warranty period is in full effect.
- You decide all of the features from the number of rooms, extensions, and amenities.
Questions to ask yourself and your builder-
- Are you licensed (where required) and insured?
- How do you compare yourself to other builders? What are the most important benefits of the homes you build?
- What type of warranty does the builder offer?
- Can the builder give you references from prior home buyers? Do they build model homes you can tour? If not, can you help me make an appointment to see a home they built for another customer?
- What are the major energy-saving features of their homes?
- Do they build only from home plans you supply? Or can you provide your own set of plans?
- What standard features do their homes include? What options and upgrades can you select?
- Who will oversee the construction of your home? Who is the main contact during the build process for questions or concerns?
- How and when can you make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- How and when will the final price for your home be determined?
- How often (and when) will you have access to the home during the building process?
- How long will your home take to complete?
- Does the community have a Home Owners Association and/or an Architectural Review Committee? If so, may I get a copy of their rules and the amount of any fees?
- What’s your process for inspection at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalized?
- How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you built?
These questions are just the start of many questions you will have during the build process.
#build a home# custom build a
American Institute for Architecture
This is a great resource to start with when either building or home addition project. It gives consumer info on; service levels, how to choose and what to expect from an Architect. More